The Android Team Awareness Kit (ATAK) is a geospatial infrastructure and military situation awareness app for the Android smartphone. It enables precision targeting, intelligence surrounding land formation, situational awareness, navigation, and sharing of data. The ATAK PLUGIN architecture enables enhanced capabilities for unique task sets (Direct Action, Battle Advising, Law Enforcement, Defense Operations, Border Control, Disaster Response, Off-grid Communications, Mapping and Geotagging).
The Tactical Assault Kit is DoD nomenclature for the Team Awareness Kit (TAK) application: a mission planning, geospatial, Full Motion Video (FMV), and system administrator tool that reduces the operational footprint from a tactical laptop, to a commercial mobile device. The geospatial engine and communications component support Department of Defense (DoD) and commercial sector standards. Extensibility of the core platform is supported by the Software Development Kit (https://takmaps.com/), which enables any partner to develop mission-specific capability or contribute to the advancement of the baseline. Data can be pre-loaded into ATAK or downloaded from the network when available.
Civil use capabilities of ATAK-CIV include:
• Online and offline mapping (most standard formats), with a blazing fast rendering engine
• Support for very high-resolution imagery (sub 1 cm resolution)
• Collaborative mapping, including points, drawings, locations of interest
• Extensive and customizable set of Icons
• Overlay Manager which allows the Import and display of KML, KMZ, GPX overlays, maps and imagery including both online and offline sources with adjustable transparency. These overlays can be treated as Gridded Refrence Gaphics.
• Location marking, sharing, history
• Chat, file sharing, photo sharing, video sharing, streaming
• Navigation-walking/hiking, driving, also useful flying and air-ground coordination
• Elevation Tools, heat maps, computed contour maps, viewsheds, routes w/DTED, SRTM, including dynamic profiling
• Hashtags and Sticky tags
• Center on Self, Center on other objects (e.g. another person in the network)
• Range, bearing, and other measurement tools
• Network-aware geofences with triggers
• “Bloodhound” destination tracking, including on moving objects
• Team Emergency Beacons
• Customizable Toolbar
• Radio controls and Integration
• Photo to map capability (aka Rubber Sheeting)
• Casualty evacuation tool
• Icon support for a wide variety of First Responder missions with further extensible Icons
• 3D perspective and ability to display 3D geospatial models
• Useful for First Responders, Hunting, fishing, ornithology, wildlife site survey
• ATAK-CIV is open source: https://github.com/deptofdefense/AndroidTacticalAssaultKit-CIV
All ATAK applications use a variety of network mediums to send situational awareness data, chat messages, and other file types associated with mission planning activities. The networking component of TAK CORE handles creating the appropriate message at the application level (Cursor-on-Target), manages receiving and dispatching messages, and brokers communication with the TAK Server product.
Geospatial Data Processing
The TAK applications ingest geospatial imagery and overlay products for use on the moving map display.
Geospatial Data Visualization
A set of rendering utility and helper functions exist in TAK CORE to standardize the way geospatial imagery and overlays are rendered to the screen.
Geospatial Data Management
A data management capability is included in the TAK CORE to ensure that the data managed by TAK is relevant and accurate for the end user.
Customers and Partners
- Aerial Drone Assets
- and sharing of data
- Battle Advising
- Border Control
- Defense Operations
- Direct Action
- Disaster Response
- intelligence surrounding land formation
- Law Enforcement
- Mapping and Geotagging
- Off-grid Communications
- precision targeting
- Situational Awareness